Promotion & Relegation Steps 3 & 4

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Promotion & Relegation Steps 3 & 4

Post by Simons » 13 Jun 2018, 20:27

FA Statement

The Clubs in the bottom three places in each of the two divisions (National League North & South) at Step 2 at the end of the Regular Season will be relegated to a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division at Step 3 for the following Playing Season.

They will be replaced by the Clubs finishing in 1st position in each of the four divisions at Step 3 together with a further two Clubs determined by a series of Play Off Matches.

Where a Club finishes in 1st position but does not meet the criteria for participation at the next Step, the Club finishing in 2nd position shall be promoted and the Club finishing in 3rd position (and so on) shall be the Club in the next eligible position to take part in the Play Off Matches.

Where a Club finishes in a Play Off Position but does not meet the Criteria for participation in Play Off Matches the Club finishing in the next eligible position shall take part in the Play Off Matches.

In each division at Step 3, the Play Off Matches shall be played so that the highest placed of the eligible Clubs plays against the lowest placed and the other two Clubs play each other (the “Step 3 Initial Play Off Matches”);.

The winners of each of the Step 3 Initial Play Off Matches will play each other, resulting in one winner in each of the four Step 3 divisions (the “Step 3 Divisional Play Off Winners”).

The Step 3 Divisional Play Off Winners will play a further match against each other. The ties will be decided by the Committee pairing Clubs on the most suitable geographical basis.

The ties will be played on a single match basis with the home Club being the Club with the best points per match ratio in the Regular Season.

If there are only three eligible Clubs then the highest placed shall receive a bye to a second match where it will play the winner of the other Play Off Match and the winner of that match will play in the further Play Off Match described above. Clubs finishing below position 7 will not be considered for Play Off Matches.

The promoted Clubs will be placed in a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division at Step 2.

Step 3 and Step 4

The Clubs in the bottom three places in each of the four divisions at Step 3 at the end of the Regular Season will be relegated to a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division at Step 4 for the following Playing Season.

They will be replaced by the Club finishing in 1st position in each of the seven divisions at Step 4 together with a further five Clubs to be determined by a series of Play Off Matches.

Where a Club finishes in 1st position but does not meet the Criteria for participation at the next Step, the Club finishing in 2nd position shall be promoted and the Club finishing in 3rd position (and so on) shall be the Club in the next eligible position to take part in the Play Off Matches.

Where a Club finishes in a Play Off Position but does not meet the Criteria for participation in Play Off Matches the Club finishing in the next eligible position shall take part in the Play Off Matches.

In each division at Step 4, The Play Off Matches shall be played so that the highest placed of the eligible Clubs plays against the lowest placed and the other two Clubs play each other (the “Step 4 Initial Play Off Matches”).

The winners of each of the Step 4 Initial Play Off Matches will play each other and the winner of those matches shall result in seven teams eligible for promotion.

The five Clubs to be promoted shall be the five Clubs out of the seven divisional Play Off winners with the best points per match ratio in the Regular Season.

If there are only three eligible Clubs then the highest placed shall receive a bye to a second match where it will play the winner of the other Play Off Match and the winner of that match will be promoted. Clubs finishing below position 7 will not be considered for Play Off Matches.

The promoted Clubs will be placed in a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division at Step 3.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Promotion & Relegation Steps 3 & 4

Post by piearce9 » 13 Jun 2018, 20:58

Well this is going to be right mess when the time comes around.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 13 Jun 2018, 21:57

Bloody hell! The season will be over by the time I've understood that lot. ::)

Keep it simple so we can all join in.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Jun 2018, 22:57

Even for our CITE based friends, this has made promotion harder.
Previously, each feeder to the Conf North or South had the winner and the play-off winner go up.
Now it’s the winner and two of the four play off winners.

Not that this will effect us mind.

Perhaps more pertinently, it’s three down, not four as it has been in that past.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Jun 2018, 10:37

Ok, so I’ve read it again without a bottle of Rioja inside me.

1st place goes up.
2nd play 5th
3rd play 4th
Winners of each play each other to get the play off champions.

This is just like the last few seasons.

Then, having slogged through that, the winners of the play offs from each of the NPL, MPL, SPL and Isthmian aren’t quite there yet....

“The Committee” then decide which of these 4 are closest geographically, and pair them up.
I guess that this will almost always mean SPL v Isthmian and MPL v NPL.
They then play one off matches at the home of the side with the best record from the season, and the two winners finally go up to the Conf North or South.

Phew.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Jun 2018, 10:37

And it’s 3 down.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 14 Jun 2018, 13:23

As I've said ALL ALONG this is a change that is totally unnecessary and will make things WORSE. Try and convince me I'm wrong again TRM.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 14 Jun 2018, 13:24

Three go down. Last years get out of jail card has been used. We need to find three worse teams than us, and although I find it a poor level, under the current circumstances - I find that difficult to see.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 14 Jun 2018, 16:17

andy wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:23
As I've said ALL ALONG this is a change that is totally unnecessary and will make things WORSE. Try and convince me I'm wrong again TRM.
Woah there. The new league structure is the right thing, but having six teams promoted from four leagues is unusual and leaves many successful teams disappointed.

The easiest solution is to have four teams come down both leagues in Step 2- but I gather that’s a decision that needs approving by the league above.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 14 Jun 2018, 19:56

piearce9 wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 16:17
andy wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 13:23
Woah there. The new league structure is the right thing, but having six teams promoted from four leagues is unusual and leaves many successful teams disappointed.

The easiest solution is to have four teams come down both leagues in Step 2- but I gather that’s a decision that needs approving by the league above.
There's no woah there, Neddy's bolted on this one! It's unnecessary, solves nothing, and causes more problems. Oh and did I mention the standard will be lower? ;)