League reorganisation

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
The Reasonable Man
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: League reorganisation

Post by The Reasonable Man » 06 Mar 2018, 15:10

Might not have to worry about the trip to Lowestoft...

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/sport ... -1-5420971

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 28 Mar 2018, 15:12

One other important point not mentioned so far is the benefit of certainty for our clubs. As we are right in the middle of the new geographical league area, there’ll no longer be the worry at the end of each season about possible transfers to a different North or South division, together with all the disruption this brings. Depending on the various actual and forecast relegations/promotions, this has been a problem for many seasons. As long as the playing side keeps us at the same level, we’ll stay in this new division.

However, I was expecting the new Central league to extend somewhat further north and south with a more usual definition of the Midlands taking in all of Shropshire, Staffordshire, most of Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire to the north and much of Gloucestershire/north Oxon to the south. Instead of such a geographical ‘square’ area we seem to have a thin slice straight across to East Anglia. This is demonstrated by the some recent projections that foresee Stafford Rangers playing in the North – (to accommodate a possible relegation of AFC Telford). Stafford is one of our shorter trips and I’m sure Stafford wouldn’t be pleased with missing out of a number of local derbies.

It would surely be preferable for the Suffolk sides (Needham Market, Leiston, Lowestoft) to remain in the Isthmian League rather than move to the central area. These don’t seem to be naturally ‘Midlands’ clubs. I’ve always thought the Isthmian would be better as a diagonal SE area covering all of East Anglia (up to the Wash) – although I think there’s some history behind this. As another example, if Gloucester were at our level, it looks likely they would be in the Southern league, although they always used to be one of the easier away games to get to (it always felt much easier travelling down the M5 to the SW clubs from B63 land – Weston, Clevedon, even Taunton & Merthyr were quite easy trips). To the north, we would lose trips to the Cheshire clubs such as Nantwich & Witton which are not far away. Sadly, it’s always seemed to be the case that the Midlands area hasn’t had the political clout or been a powerhouse, despite having some big clubs, and even now the Central league will be run by the Southern League. But never mind, things evolve and at least the new Central league will exist and have the chance to adjust (just as the current structure has evolved over time) into a more sensible Midlands-based area.

There doesn’t seem much news yet on the new number of promoted/relegated clubs, and, as TRM points out, the National League would have to agree to accept 4 relegations from each of the National Leagues North and South to fit in with a sensible 2 teams promoted from each of the 4 divisions at the new Step 3. I’m not sure they’ll like that much. At the other end, if we assume we are heading towards 8 divisions at Step 4, then again 2 promotions means 16 clubs being exchanged, meaning 4 clubs being relegated from each Step 3 division. Four relegations from 22 clubs could be a very tough situation for quite a number of clubs (more punishing than the previous 4 from 24 and quite a change from 1 out of 24 in this transition year).

On the subject of dilution of league standing, consider that in 1995/96 Halesowen Town finished 2nd in Southern Premier League with 92 points – a higher points total than any other club at Step 3, except Rushden & Diamonds. With just the one GM Vauxhall Conference league above, only 22 Non-league teams were in a higher division, so it could be argued we were approx. the 24th best non-league club. Compare that to now where 68 (24+22+22) National League teams are in a higher division. If we assume an equal standard of clubs at Step 3, then as we’re 23rd in the NPL, it could be argued that 66 (i.e. 22 Evostik NPL + 22 Evostik SPL + 22 Bostik) teams are also currently better, meaning we would now be ranked about 135th in the non-league structure as opposed to 24th in the mid-1990s.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Mar 2018, 16:01

That is an excellent post! It covers all the gripes and points I tried to make, and many many more, but put so eloquently even TRM couldn't counter it. ;)

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 28 Mar 2018, 19:24

well after all yo am a brummie aye yer and yo dough spake english dun yer.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Mar 2018, 22:00

KenR wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 19:24
well after all yo am a brummie aye yer and yo dough spake english dun yer.
I dunno, I live all my adult life in Halesowen and dare to move a couple of hundred yards back inside the Brumagen boundary and I'm a castigated foreigner!
Yowm racist yo bin.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Mar 2018, 22:10

I'm still a born and bred Brummie though ;D so make sure you and your kind pay your taxes when passing the Quinton Toll House on your way to the eyesore of Aston!

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 28 Mar 2018, 22:19

I actually think the new league set up is about as fair as can be expected.

There are always going to be teams on the fringes of an area who will feel disadvantaged. Unfortunately, the new system can't shoe-horn all the East Anglian clubs into the Isthmian League as there would be just too many clubs. Similarly if we had our ideal choice, it would leave a lot of other clubs out on a limb.

If we do make the new Central Premier, we'll still have more local and easily accessible away games than we do now, and having a few longer treks would add some interesting variety and make it a bit less parochial.

Hopefully it won't really matter who runs the league and I agree that it will evolve and adjust over time. I just hope we have a team that aren't floundering about at the bottom.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 29 Mar 2018, 13:22

andy wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 22:10
I'm still a born and bred Brummie though ;D so make sure you and your kind pay your taxes when passing the Quinton Toll House on your way to the eyesore of Aston!
Are you the plastic Brummie that is being referred to by the chav gratti artist on the Stourbr*dge Rd entrance?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz