attendances

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

attendances

Post by andy » 16 Aug 2017, 13:28

Slightly disappointed in the attendance of 345 last night. First home game and all that. Maybe people are not expecting that much so not bothering. Worryingly, them lot down the road got 1050 for their first game. I have heard of a few of folk recently packing up league football watching, and they've all took up watching Stour. Hopefully we can start to pick up some of these spare bods as the season progresses.
Incidently, did anyone notice South Shields' crowd in the Northern division last night? Over 1700!

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: attendances

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 16 Aug 2017, 13:42

Let's be honest. As a neutral who would you rather be around now? Us or Stour?

I hope that changes round.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 16 Aug 2017, 15:31

Good points Andy, but I will say a few things on it. Stourbr*dge played Sunday, I'd imagine had it been Saturday then it would have been more 7-800. They're bound to have got interest with the way the club has flourished in the FA Cup. It won't last forever and I think we're at least now been run (albeit maybe only for 2 seasons) a lot better.
345 is quite a good gate for a Tuesday night for us. Hopefully it'll be a little higher this Saturday. Farsley won't have many more than 20 or 30 I wouldn't have thought.
South Shields are being severely bankrolled, plus went to Wembley last season. And we all know how that improves attendances for the better :)
Results will matter in the first couple of months, and of course performances. Last night's performance, although somewhat laboured after 60 minutes or so, was a great deal better than the last 10 or 15 league games last season. And the result was perfect! Let's see where we are in early October and hope we can turn the corner. I don't think I've ever read so much wanting us to fail miserably in the previous 3 or 4 months prior to Karen taking over. Hopefully the club can be seen in a new light now (temporarily or not) and we can get more people interested in coming down. I know some people won't return, and I respect the majority of their reasons for not wanting to, but life's too short eh?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 16 Aug 2017, 16:17

Good points HH.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 16 Aug 2017, 17:33

It'll be interesting to see Steve Lynch's move IF things go brilliantly well in his absence.

Will he dare come back and risk rocking the boat? If he does and it starts going down hill again, what will supporters reactions be?

A long time away.

htfc33
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by htfc33 » 16 Aug 2017, 19:45

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 17:33
It'll be interesting to see Steve Lynch's move IF things go brilliantly well in his absence.

Will he dare come back and risk rocking the boat? If he does and it starts going down hill again, what will supporters reactions be?

A long time away.
'Will he come back ?' Are you forgetting the ownership still lies with him/his family.
all the work done to the ground/in progress was announced before his ban and before Karen was announced, I certainly believe he had a part to play in the fence and pitch due to the fact projects so major don't happen over night.... just my opinion

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 16 Aug 2017, 19:58

htfc33 wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 19:45
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 17:33

A long time away.
'Will he come back ?' Are you forgetting the ownership still lies with him/his family.
all the work done to the ground/in progress was announced before his ban and before Karen was announced, I certainly believe he had a part to play in the fence and p*t*h due to the fact projects so major don't happen over night.... just my opinion
The Lynch family could still own the club but with a hands off, don't fix what's not broke, approach. This is of course all hypothetical, isn't it?

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 16 Aug 2017, 23:10

Interesting one about the attendance as in a lot of games last season, there were occasions when there seemed to be no more than about 200-300 at games and the official attendance was given at a figure higher than expected.

Last night - from being at the game there did appear to be more in attendance than said occasions last season (my guesstimate on last nights attendance would have been about 450) yet it was given at 345.

Although my judgement could have been clouded as a lot of fans were congregated more on the side due to the Stourbr*dge Road entrance being blocked off which gave the impression there were more there rather than being more spread out.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on though to see if the figure increases during the season, from what I witnessed last night, I am certainly looking forward to my next visit to The Grove.

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 17 Aug 2017, 10:30

Just a few stats for you all to put it into perspective,

2016-17 Season
Tuesday Night Games - Average League Att - 350
Saturday & Bank Holiday Games - Average League Att - 422 (Excluding Stourbr*dge Game)

2015-16 Season
Tuesday Night Games - Average League Att - 356
Saturday & Bank Holiday Games - Average League Att - 394 (Excluding Stourbr*dge Game)

So Tuesday night seems to be on par. As we all know attendances only increase if there is good, exciting football being played. A good cup run and league run also normally helps, which is why people are automatically attracted to Stourbr*dge.

Lets see what happens this season....

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 Aug 2017, 10:46

Interesting. Their cup runs really have made a massive difference. I suppose ours used to many moons ago also.