Another 3g pitch in this league?

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Another 3g pitch in this league?

Post by RaidenYeltz » 24 Feb 2014, 10:11

Council deal ends delays to ending exile

Scarborough Athletic are hailing the decision of local councillors to give the green light to a new sports village that will pave the way for the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League club to return home from exile.

Following a three month delay, the Seadogs are celebrating confirmation that the multi-million pound scheme at nearby Weaponness, which includes a new community ground with a 3G pitch and an eight lane Olympic-sized swimming pool, is going ahead after the local authority finally concluded agreements with developers.

The First Division South club currently play 20 miles down the coast at Bridlington and the town has been without a football ground since the McCain Stadium was demolished in 2011.

The development is being financed by the sale of of the former Scarborough FC's ground and the disposal of the local authority's old sports and leisure centre together with grants from the Football Foundation, Sport England and the England Squash and Racketball Association.

Scarborough Athletic's Chairman Dave Holland said: "This announcement represents a huge step closer to a return to the borough for Scarborough Athletic FC, and gives us a confidence boost to progress our own plans and aspirations.

"Weaponness will become both the hub and pinnacle of local football activity, and allow us to develop our community credentials even further; this is exciting and welcome news indeed."

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/council- ... ile-18418/

yeltz75
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Another 3g pitch in this league?

Post by yeltz75 » 05 Mar 2014, 17:15

possibly a good idea, considering the state the pitch gets in, I am sure the players would prefer
a flat short 3g pitch rather than a bobbly mud bath. any thoughts on this?

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 05 Mar 2014, 17:30

Hmm, I think you might have different views to the rest of the forum Yeltz75, 3G pitches aren't so popular round here. I personally don't like them I prefer the traditional mud and grass, even if it does cause postponements

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 05 Mar 2014, 17:36

I prefer watching football on grass/mud but a 3G pitch is a great source of income for a non league club and can make them self sufficient or even profit making!!

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 05 Mar 2014, 18:07

How often and to whom do the likes of Earls, Windsor and to some extents the Power League rent out?

If Halesowen moved to a 3g would it generate enough income despite 3 local schools / businesses offering artificial pitches.

I don't like the idea but I'm not against it as such as it does have a lot of benefits.

Off topic but similar...I posed the question to Jon C and AV last night...what would people's thoughts be on having non-league seasons take place in Summer months.

Like artificial pitches I don't like the idea...but better weather = better pitches also no top flight league to compete against so better attendance.

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 05 Mar 2014, 19:13

RaidenYeltz wrote:How often and to whom do the likes of Earls, Windsor and to some extents the Power League rent out?

If Halesowen moved to a 3g would it generate enough income despite 3 local schools / businesses offering artificial pitches.

I don't like the idea but I'm not against it as such as it does have a lot of benefits.

Off topic but similar...I posed the question to Jon C and AV last night...what would people's thoughts be on having non-league seasons take place in Summer months.

Like artificial pitches I don't like the idea...but better weather = better pitches also no top flight league to compete against so better attendance.
Earls is rented out most nights (in fact fully booked). But the pitch is terrible for football as it's actually a hockey pitch. Windsor I believe don't have floodlights so again not much competition. The biggest problem with htfc is the lack of parking available. Leasows, again Astro not 3G and again fully booked last time I checked.

Not a fan of a summer league but maybe have a winter break for a few weeks so te season ends in may/June instead of April... Again would prefer to not have a break

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 05 Mar 2014, 19:38

RaidenYeltz wrote:How often and to whom do the likes of Earls, Windsor and to some extents the Power League rent out?

Despite there being artificial surfaces nearby I would have no doubt at all that it would be used, particularly during the evenings. Remember 3G surfaces are used also for hockey and I believe even rugby now (That may be 4G though). I can't see the local schools or college using the pitch, for the reasons you mentioned, but with a clever booking system the pitch could be maximised quite easily. I know from my previous vocation of Sport & Leisure Management the pitch could be hired 3 times over on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening. Hiring the pitch at 8pm on a Friday is a different matter though! Of course, if Halesowen hope in the near future to develop further particularly with youth teams attached to the club (Boys, girls and women) then it will enhance the reputation of the club in the community further. That said, I'd be greedy and want the club to have BOTH so normal grass can be played on for matches.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

Washy002
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Washy002 » 05 Mar 2014, 21:53

I believe the going rate is £45 per hour per quarter, so that's potentionally £180 an hour 6-11pm.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 05 Mar 2014, 22:25

Washy002 wrote:I believe the going rate is £45 per hour per quarter, so that's potentionally £180 an hour 6-11pm.
Without going into it too much on here, there is a way of maximising the income from the pitch for the benefit of community users. I guess at the moment it's all hyperthetical though.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 06 Mar 2014, 09:32

AVFCYELTZ wrote:
Washy002 wrote:I believe the going rate is £45 per hour per quarter, so that's potentionally £180 an hour 6-11pm.
Without going into it too much on here, there is a way of maximising the income from the pitch for the benefit of community users. I guess at the moment it's all hyperthetical though.
With our floodlights I believe the calculations have been done and can cost anything from £150 upwards to light the pitch for a 90 minute match.