Then up wi' him my ploughman lad,
And hey my merry ploughman!
Of a' the trades that I do ken,
Commend me to the ploughman.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Re: The Fallout Begins

Post by Noggin » 23 Apr 2020, 07:55

I saw this elsewhere yesterday and saw reflections from some with Yeltz connections for far longer than me.

I don’t know what attendances they were getting in Cymru North, but most of the Cymru Premier teams average 250-350. With those gates a £24000 ground rent is totally unviable without a “benefactor” of which neither scenario is good in the long term

Sadly, this wont be the last club to fold if this social distancing lasts as long as it takes to get treatments in place.

Colin Bobble
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Colin Bobble » 04 Jul 2020, 20:49

FC Oswestry Town are folding.
The ploughman he's a bonnie lad,
His mind is ever true, jo,
His garters knit below his knee,
His bonnet it is blue, jo.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Jul 2020, 21:47

We are so, so lucky to now be in safe hands.
I'm sure the FA will keep trotting out it's its 'grassroots' bollocks, yet it will let clubs such as these fold all day. As long as the big boys can still pay £250k a week wages all is well.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 04 Jul 2020, 21:53

Such a shame also as Oswestry were on the verge of promotion in the NWC League just as we were. They too were denied by the ludicrous voided season. And this is the consequence for them. The FA should hang their heads in shame.

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 05 Jul 2020, 11:19

I agree with you Andy, and in actual fact, it is a good job we had successful cup runs to also generate some funding.

No9Bus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by No9Bus » 06 Jul 2020, 10:27

Whilst I doubt anyone is still thinking that the FA or Premier League have any sincere interest in the "lower"leagues, consider this: based on last season's average home attendances, unplayed games and a simple average of £10 admission charge, clubs at Step 3 lost a combined total of just under £1.8million in gate receipts. At Step 4 it's a bit more complex, especially given a wider range of admission prices across the seven divisions, but a fair guesstimate would put the sum lost as similar to Step 3. Obviously this doesn't account for season ticket holders, but neither for bar takings, 50/50 draw tickets, and any other on-the-day money making, but just keeping it fairly simple, a gate receipt "compensation" package to all 88 Step 3 and 140 Step 4 clubs would be around £3.6million.

Sky's current TV deal with the Premier League equates to approximately £9.3million per game.

So, for the revenue from less than one half of a single Premier League game, the same amount of money could help over 220 clubs make ends meet, and in some cases, actually survive.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 06 Jul 2020, 10:43

No9Bus wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 10:27
Whilst I doubt anyone is still thinking that the FA or Premier League have any sincere interest in the "lower"leagues, consider this: based on last season's average home attendances, unplayed games and a simple average of £10 admission charge, clubs at Step 3 lost a combined total of just under £1.8million in gate receipts. At Step 4 it's a bit more complex, especially given a wider range of admission prices across the seven divisions, but a fair guesstimate would put the sum lost as similar to Step 3. Obviously this doesn't account for season ticket holders, but neither for bar takings, 50/50 draw tickets, and any other on-the-day money making, but just keeping it fairly simple, a gate receipt "compensation" package to all 88 Step 3 and 140 Step 4 clubs would be around £3.6million.

Sky's current TV deal with the Premier League equates to approximately £9.3million per game.

So, for the revenue from less than one half of a single Premier League game, the same amount of money could help over 220 clubs make ends meet, and in some cases, actually survive.
No9Bus, that's a great post. It shows just how easily clubs at our level can be saved were the governing bodies minded to do so. But they won't. Never have, never will. They pay lip service to it and then let clubs go to the wall. The day the money is pulled from the Premier League is the day they will become interested. The day those clubs NEED the feeder leagues to supply their talent because they can't afford Johnny Foreigner anymore.

Colin Bobble
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Colin Bobble » 06 Aug 2020, 21:02

The ploughman he's a bonnie lad,
His mind is ever true, jo,
His garters knit below his knee,
His bonnet it is blue, jo.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 06 Aug 2020, 22:23

That's ok. Arsenal got to win the cup you know. And Liverpool the league. That's all that matters.